Here you find all the information about the New Business Challenge! If you have any questions please contact us via email@example.com
What is the New Business Challenge Ghana?
The New Business Challenge Ghana is an unique business case competition where 20 Dutch and 20 Ghanaian students and young professionals work together in mixed teams on business cases from 5 companies. This challenge is all about discovering new sustainable business opportunities for the private sector and maximizing the entrepreneurial potential of the participants.
What is the idea?
At the start of the New Business Challenge five companies have formulated a business case regarding their activities or plans in Ghana. They need fresh and out-of-the-box insights and solutions of entrepreneurial students and young professionals to take the next steps!
Ten mixed teams, all consisting of 2 Dutch and 2 Ghanaians, will work on implementable sustainable business solutions for the companies. A well-balanced program is in place for participants to arrive at the best possible solution and to maximize their development. The teams go on two study trips full with trainings, workshops and fieldtrips. They will be coached and supported by experts and professionals. All teams present their solutions at the Residency of the Dutch Ambassador in Ghana at the end of the study trip in Ghana. An independent jury will choose the winning business solution of the NBC !
The NBC doesn’t stop after the final! All participants join the Matching Day in September to bring the solution further together with the companies. Next to this, Ghanaian participants get acces to the New Career Platform: this is a dedicated place to inform young talent about starting a professional career in Ghana. The platform informs on two parts for building a professional career: job orientation and entrepreneurship. Read more on the program
Who can participate?
The NBC is open to Dutch and Ghanaian residents with the following requirements:
- Holding a valid Dutch or Ghanaian passport (which has to be valid at least 6 months before traveling to Ghana or The Netherlands).
- Studying at a university (or HBO) or graduated for the maximum of 3 years;
- A specific study background is not required as long as you are an entrepreneurial and open minded candidate who can think independently and is motivated to explore entrepreneurial business opportunities in Ghana;
- Not older than 28 years of age.
You sign up individually for the NBC. Teams will be formed after the final selection (after the Kickoff event) at the end of May.
Registration for the 2021 edition opens in April 2021.
How can I register?
You can sign up individually at this website. At registration, we ask you to indicate your preference for a case and to add a motivation letter, a CV and a copy of your passport.
Please be advised:
- You must be in possession of a valid Dutch or Ghanaian passport (which has to be valid at least 6 months before traveling to Ghana or The Netherlands)
- Registration is not a guarantee for participating in the NBC, because we will receive more registrations than we have places available. Therefore, candidates will be selected.
Registration for the 2021 edition opens in April 2021.
How does the selection procedure work?
The selection procedure is divided in two parts, the pre-selection and the final selection. The selection procedure of the 2021 edition is described here.
In each country, 40 candidates will be pre-selected based on their motivation letter and CV. These 40 pre-selected candidates will be invited by e-mail for the Kickoff event. The Kickoff takes place in May, simultaneously in Ghana and the Netherlands. The application deadline will be announced in april 2021
Please be advised: The companies will select all participants at the fisrt week of May. If you are selected you will receive an invitation by email. Make sure that you respond within 24 hours or your invitation becomes invalid. Please check your email and phone often during these days and do not forget to check your spam folders! As soon as you accept the invitation you commit to come to the Kick-off.
The final selection takes place at the Kick-off event in May. During this day in your country, you will form a duo with another candidate. Together you get the chance to convince the company. Every company selects 4 candidates individually to participate in the NBC (20 candidates in both countries).
Please be advised: Four days after the Kick-off, you will be informed if you are selected to participate in the NBC.
What is the time spenditure?
The NBC takes place during the summer period with mandatory event days and two study trips.
The important dates for the 2021 edition are:
- May: Kick-off, Ghana and The Netherlands (1 day)
- June: Preparation workshop Ghana and The Netherlands (1 day)
- July: Study trip The Hague, The Netherlands (10 days)
- August: Study trip Accra, Ghana (12 days)
- September: Matching Day, Ghana and The Netherlands (1 day)
- Participants have to be available and present at the above mentioned days.
- During the study trips all participants stay over at the same accommodation for the whole period of the study trip.
- You, and your teammates, decide for yourself how much time you spend in between the event days and study trips.
- In the two weeks between the two study trips you have to be available several hours a week for preparing the studytrip in Ghana.
- The preparation activities in June only take a few hours a week.